All Indian taxpayers, who are within the purview of paying income tax, are required to file their income tax returns before the end of this month, which is December 31, 2021. This is exactly one month away from today, which is December 1. Income tax return (ITR) must be made for fiscal year 2021-22, failing which taxpayers can get into a lot of trouble. In a new move announced earlier this year, the government launched an e-filing portal, which allows taxpayers to file income tax returns online at home. But to access the services, the user has to login to the Income Tax e-portal.
However, the portal, which launched on June 7, wasn’t exactly “taxpayer friendly” to sum up. The e-filing portal had several issues that were noticed by users. Subsequently, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman sent a subpoena to Infosys and set a September 15 deadline to resolve the issues. The Tax and Customs Administration subsequently extended the deadline on this memorandum, which had previously been set on September 31. July 31, 2021 pursuant to subsection (1) of Section 139 of the Act, as extended to September 30, 2021 vide Circular No. 9/2021 of May 20, 2021, is hereby further extended to December 31, 2021,” Central Board of Direct Taxes ( CBDT) had said in a statement.
Infosys said in October that it had resolved 90 percent of its issues and that users could easily file tax returns using its income tax e-portal. To do this, you need to register and login to the portal at https://www.incometax.gov.in/.
This is how you log in to the income tax e-counter via the website:
1. Go to the Income Tax e-portal at the link https://www.incometax.gov.in/
2. Select the Login Here option on the home page
3. In the Enter your user ID option, enter your permanent account number or PAN and then click Continue.
4. After this, you need to confirm the Secure Access Message you have received. Then click Continue
5. From here you have to choose whether you want to receive the 6 digit OTP via SMS or voice call. After clicking the option, click Enter. The OTP is valid for 15 minutes, after which you must generate a new one. You get three chances to enter the correct OTP
6. Enter the OTP you received on your registered mobile number or email ID and then click Login. Income tax e-return dashboard appears after successful verification
You can also use your registered Aadhaar number or internet banking to login to the income tax e-filing portal. For Aadhaar application, you need to enter your Aadhaar number and provide the OTP as directed. For internet banking, you must enter your username and password to access your account.
After successfully logging in, you must file your FY21-22 income tax return. If you do not do this, you will have to pay a fine when filing your income tax return at a later date. You will also have to pay more tax if you file a late return i.e. fail to file ITR by the deadline. It is therefore advisable to submit an income tax return within the specified period via the income tax e-filing portal.
Read all the Latest News, Breaking News and Coronavirus News here.