A snake rescuer has described the tense encounter with a cobra after being called to a home in South Africa’s Reservoir Hills. Nick Evans, a reptile educator and conservationist, told Facebook that he was confronted on Friday by an angry Mozambican spitting cobra — a highly venomous snake native to Africa. Mr Evans said he had been called to rescue a snake discovered in a hole in the wall of a family’s prayer room.
In the social media post, Nick Evans said that when he arrived at the house, the reptile was found to be elusive. “When I arrived, I stuck my phone in the hole in the wall, on video mode, hoping to see the snake,” he said. The snake catcher added, “I heard something. When cobras are irritated, they emit a distinct, short hiss…I couldn’t see it on camera, though.”
Mr Evans said he struggled to locate the snake, then resorted to tearing up part of the room when he saw an opening he suspected the snake had passed through. “I felt really bad,” he said. But he added that the homeowner was adamant about getting the hose out.
Also read | Snake catcher saves 13-meter king cobra in Andhra Pradesh
In the caption, Mr. Evans wrote that he found the hose exactly where he expected it to be after some dismantling with the help of the homeowner. The reptile wasn’t happy, but Mr. Evans explained that he went ahead and pulled the snake out using a pair of pliers. “It spat furiously at my pincers, then at me,” he said.
Finally, Mr. Evans revealed that he managed to pin down the venomous snake. “The family was happy to see this snake’s back, and I don’t blame them!” he finished the post.
Also read | Kerala restaurant closes after customer finds snakeskin in food
Citing website Reptile Range† news week reported that Mozambique spitting cobra grows up to several feet in length and may be gray or olive brown in color. The snake is named for its ability to spit out its venom. They are known to bite humans and are responsible for the most severe cases of snakebites in southern Africa. Mozambique cobras spitting venom can cause pain, swelling, blisters and even severe tissue damage, the media reported.
Click for more trending news