Recently, in the United States, a snake had to be rescued after it mistook some golf balls for chicken eggs, ate them both and got stuck in a fence. The Northern Colorado Wildlife Center briefed on the incident on Tuesday, saying workers had been called to help the reptile after it became trapped in a fence.
“Well, we don’t see this every day. Our team was called in to help this bull snake that got stuck in a fence after swallowing two golf balls in a chicken coop, mistaking them for edible chicken eggs,” the center wrote in a Facebook message. They even shared photos showing the golf balls causing visible bulges at a few points along the snake’s body.
In the caption, the wildlife center said that when the staff retrieved the reptile, they found that the golf balls were causing a severe blockage in the snake’s intestines. They then started the slow process of helping the snake using special techniques. “All in all, the slow, careful process took Kate and Michela about 30 minutes to complete,” the center said.
“These golf balls caused a severe GI blockage in the tubing and it was imperative that they be removed quickly and safely to avoid surgery,” it added.
Also read | Flight attendant claims snake head found in plane meal, airline launches investigation
Another image showed the pair of golf balls after being removed from the hose. Wildlife officials said the reptile is currently doing “very well” with only minor pain and shell damage. “Of course he was hungry and has already eaten a small meal with us.”
Snakes play an important role in maintaining a balance in the ecosystem. They help monitor the population of prey-like rodents, the numbers of which can increase exponentially in the absence of these reptiles. Snakes have more than 3,500 species, of which only about 600 are venomous.
Click for more trending news