In his first interview following the defeat of the opposition alliance in the parliamentary elections in Uttar Pradesh, Jayant Chaudhary, Akhilesh Yadav’s ally, Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) speaks to DailyExpertNews and talks about the loss in polls.
Here are the highlights:
- Elections are difficult to understand. A great mandate must be given to the BJP and there is no doubt about it.
- Many positive points in the result. We have been through a difficult period, but there is still a lot of work to be done.
- We entered this election with a positive story. This is something that has given us a lot of strength.
- We have been credited for our positive campaign. We were able to fight polarization (from Muzaffarnagar to Baghpat) where Hindu-Muslim polarization didn’t work
- Politics is about idea, we believe our campaign was based on the right set of ideas. But we couldn’t bring it to the people
- We campaigned 24×7. I don’t think it was a failure to connect. The executives couldn’t get it out of our reach. There was anger against the BJP and anti-incumbency.
- Every election is different, politics is dynamic. There is no reason why people who voted for BJP today will not change.
- Even BJP has many leaders, they are talking about one man. We must counter them. We have to focus them on local problems, national policies.
- I have no baggage for RLD, I invite many younger people and women into our herd