The Ministry of Railways informed on Saturday that wartime restoration works are underway at Odisha’s Balasore, where two passenger trains and a freight car were involved in a horrific accident, which killed 288 passengers and injured more than 803.
The crash involved the Bengaluru-Howrah Superfast Express, the Shalimar-Chennai Central Coromandel Express and a freight train.
The Ministry of Railways said in its tweet that officials are closely monitoring the recovery process at the scene of the accident.
Railways also reported that more than seven Poclain machines, two emergency relief trains, 3-4 rail and road cranes have been deployed for early restoration.
Officials are closely monitoring the recovery process at the scene of the accident.
— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) June 3, 2023
Earlier on Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached the scene of the accident accompanied by Union Minister of Railways Ashwini Vaishnaw and Union Minister of Education Dharmendra Pradhan.
“It is a painful incident. We may not be able to restore the lives lost, but we are with the families of the victims in this hour of grief. The government has taken very serious note of the incident and will do all it can to help the injured passengers. An investigation has been ordered and those found guilty will not be spared,” Prime Minister Modi said.
48 trains have been cancelled, 39 diverted and 10 trains stopped for a short time as a result of the accident, which happened on the Howrah-Chennai main line in the Kharagpur division of the South Eastern Railway.