Compiled by: Nibandh Vinod
Last updated: Oct 02, 2023 08:14 IST
GANDHI JAYANTI 2023: Mahatma Gandhi was a leading figure in the Indian independence movement and a pioneer of nonviolent resistance. He is known for his simple lifestyle, his commitment to truth and non-violence, and his message of peace and love. Every year, October 2 is celebrated as Gandhi Jayanti to pay tribute to our beloved ‘Bapu’. Gandhi’s legacy continues to inspire people around the world, and his story has been told and retold in countless books, films and songs. Here are a few examples of songs, movies and actors that remind us of Mahatma Gandhi:
READ ALSO: Happy Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Wishes, Quotes, Messages, Images and WhatsApp Greetings!
FILMS WITH MAHATMA GANDHI AS THE CHARACTER
- Low Raho Munna BhaiThanks to its intriguing portrayal of Gandhiji’s principles and the way they influenced Munna, the don, this film gained a cult following. This film on ‘Gandhigiri’, starring Sanjay Dutt, was directed by Rajkumar Hirani. Dilip Prabhavalkar, the Marathi actor, played the role of Gandhi.
- Gandhi, my fatherProduced by Anil Kapoor, this was a beautiful film that depicted the father-son relationship of Gandhi-Harilal. Darshan Jariwala played Gandhi and Akshay Khanna played the role of his son, Harilal Gandhi in this Feroz Abbas Khan film.
- Dr. Babasaheb AmbedkarIn this autobiographical film, directed by Jabbar Patel, Mohan Gokhle played the role of Gandhi. Mammootty played the titular character in this film, which also featured the gray aspects of Mahatma Gandhi.
- SardarIt would be inappropriate to talk about Gandhiji’s character in films and not mention Ketan Mehta’s. Based on the life of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Sardar Annu Kapoor essayed the role of Gandhiji wonderfully.
- Hey AriesThis Kamal Haasan’s film featured the character of Naseeruddin Shah, Gandhi’s essay. It also starred Shahrukh Khan and Rani Mukherji.
- MahatmaDirected by Vamsi, this Telugu action drama was based on a rowdy man whose life is inspired by Mahatma’s ideologies. Srikanth and Bhavana played lead roles in this film.
- Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin MaraAnupam Kher and Urmila Matondkar played the lead characters in the film. It revolved around a retired man who suffers from dementia and thinks he has killed Gandhiji. This was an interesting psychological drama where the essence of Gandhiji was spread throughout the film.
ACTORS WHO HAVE PLAYED MAHATMA GANDHI ON SCREEN
- Ben Kingsley (Gandhi)This English actor’s portrayal of Gandhi in Richard Attenborough’s Oscar-winning 1982 film Gandhi is still considered phenomenal. The role won Ben the Oscar for Best Actor. John Briley had written the film.
- Naseeruddin Shah (Hey Ram)The phenomenal actor Naseeruddin played the role of Gandhiji beautifully in this film. This was a historical crime drama (featuring the assassination of Gandhi) directed by Kamal Haasan (2000). Naseeruddin’s perfect Gujarati accent received immense appreciation.
- Rajit Kapur (The Making of the Mahatma)Directed by Shyam Benegal, Rajit did a fantastic job in this film as Gandhiji. The actor brought life to the character of Mahatma so well that it left an indelible impression in the minds of the audience. Rajit received the National Award for his performance. The film was an adaptation of the book The Apprenticeship of a Mahatma.
- Annu Kapoor (Sardar)The veteran actor played the role of The Father of the Nation with aplomb. This national award-winning film (1993), directed by Ketan Mehta, was seen on Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Darshan Jariwala (Gandhi, my father)Darshan won the Best Supporting Actor award for his incredible portrayal of Gandhiji. Feroz Abbas Khan directed this nationally awarded film (2007).
- Srikanth (Mahatma)Srikanth played Gandhiji in this Telugu film (2009) directed by Krishna Vamsi. This film revolved around a person who transforms after learning about Gandhism. It won 4 Nandi awards.
- JS Casshyap (Nine hours to Rama)Casshyap played Gandhiji in this 1963 British-American neo-noir film. Mark Robinson directed this film. The film followed the nine hours of Godse’s life before Gandhiji’s assassination.
READ ALSO: Gandhi Jayanti 2023: 50+ Mahatma Gandhi Quotes to Start Your Day with Inspiration!
WATCH: SONGS THAT REMIND US OF MAHATMA GANDHI
Vaishnav Jan Toh
Vaishnav jan to is a Hindu hymn in Gujarati composed by the 15th century poet-saint Narsinh Mehta. It is said to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite hymns.
Gandhi Ne Sabko
The song is a crucial testimony to Gandhi’s extraordinary struggle for India’s independence, which made him the father of our nation. His gentle and polite approach to life is worth singing about.
Sabarmati Ke Sant Tune Kare Diya Kamal
Mahatma Gandhi was indeed a phenomenon in our Indian history. The change he brought about in our country was nothing short of a miracle. This song tells those stories in detail. Asha Bhosle’s magical voice makes this melody unforgettable!
Bande Mein Tha Dum
This is perhaps the only song in recent times that speaks of the virtues that Mahatma Gandhi stood for. The catchy tunes, the simple lyrics and the profound meaning resonate with the young generation. The song is from Rajkumar Hirani’s 2006 film ‘Lage Raho Munna Bhai’.
Grant Dham Humare Gandhi Ji
The qualities that Gandhi held dear are considered ideals by millions of people around the world. This composition by veteran SD Burman praises Gandhi and his ideology that changed the lives of many forever!