The monsoon brings a lot of relief from the sweltering heat of summer. Everyone enjoys a rainy day with fried snacks like pakodas and tea. However, eating more fried snacks can cause acidity and heartburn due to the change in weather conditions.
The humid weather generally slows down the digestive process, which can lead to problems such as gas, acidity and indigestion. Heartburn is a painful condition in which stomach acid escapes into the esophagus. Also known as acid reflux, it causes chest pain. It is considered the result of indigestion.
Heartburn can be caused by fried and spicy foods, citrus fruits, heavy meals and alcoholic drinks. In this condition, a burning sensation is felt in the chest, right behind the sternum, right after eating the food. Sometimes it can occur after eating for a few hours.
However, heartburn can be easily treated at home. Here are a few home remedies for heartburn:
1. Older studies have shown that chewing gum can help with heartburn. When you chew a gum, saliva production increases, making the esophagus acid-free.
2. Quit smoking as it reduces saliva production.
3. Holding the head up while sleeping can help those who suffer from acid reflux at night.
4. Potassium-rich ripe bananas can help counteract the acidity and relieve discomfort.
5. Eating small portions of meals at regular intervals can help prevent heartburn. Food consumed in small portions is digested faster.
6. Reduce alcohol. Alcohol increases the severity of acid reflux and heartburn because it induces heartburn.
7. Reduce the intake of high-fat foods. Such foods slow down the digestion process and can lead to heartburn.
8. Take your dinner 3-4 hours before bedtime to give your body enough time to digest the food
Get all the latest news, breaking news, watch top videos and live TV here.