Narcissists are all around us. Thinking they are better than us and too self-centered to even consider someone else’s perspective. The arrogance of such people is sky high. There are many things ranging from stubborn to manipulative and demanding. But how do you identify and deal with a narcissist after you find out?
According to Help Guide and Healthline, narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) refers to a condition in which people like their idealized version and “have an inflated opinion of themselves.” In addition, they are huge attention seekers and are always looking for admiration from people. They can’t handle criticism and overreact, even if they come across a slightly negative opinion of them. NPD can cause problems at work, school, or in handling relationships well. Narcissistic people are arrogant, self-centered and demanding.
There are ways to identify people around you who are narcissists. Some undesirable traits of a narcissist are:
- Exaggeration – Narcissists exaggerate all of their achievements and significant events.
- Seeking Attention – Narcissists need constant admiration and attention from those around them.
- Not being able to understand others – Narcissists often don’t understand what other people need and how they feel about a particular situation.
- Arrogance – They always behave arrogantly and have inflated egos.
- Sense of entitlement – Narcissists always feel entitled.
WebMD suggests the following ways to deal with narcissists:
- Creating Boundaries – You must define clear boundaries that a narcissist cannot cross. This may upset them, but you don’t have to deal with their discomfort.
- Watch your words – If you’re around a narcissist, make sure you choose your words carefully, as they can feel offended even if you try to give them constructive criticism.
- Educate yourself – It is important to study NPD well to better understand a narcissist. This will help you come up with a strategy to deal with it better.
- Don’t expect communication or understanding on their part – It’s best to have little to no expectations from narcissists as you would only be disappointed by them. The best way to live with a narcissist is not to expect them to understand your perspective or needs.
Read all the latest news, breaking news and IPL 2022 Live Updates here.