3. Experiencing New Cultures Now when I go to a city, I try to wake up early to walk around and see the art or the buildings, how the people eat, how the people drink coffee, how the people talk. It is beautiful. Many of my teammates have never been out of America. They told me, “I travel a lot. I’ve been to Mexico.” And I thought, “Brother, but this isn’t travel.”
4. Eat Local Since we are NBA players, we go to fancy restaurants. But I told them, ‘I’m not going to eat in fancy restaurants. I want to go to the local restaurant.” When I go to Italy I want the dirty restaurant where they have been open since 1920 and where they made the best pizza for a hundred years. When I go to San Francisco, I eat the seafood there, even if you get dirty with crabs.
5. Classic cars My dream is to have a 1968, ’69 Mustang. I’m still looking because it’s hard to find a good one. When I turn 70, I’ll give it to my son, his son will give it to his son – three, four, five generations, as a family thing. Classic cars, you take care of them like your kids.
6. Tracking the Economy We live in a world where the changes are very fast, so you have to be ready for it. You see what has happened to the cryptocurrencies in the past year. Everyone went crazy. Now it’s going down. I like to read every day what they say, how people predict things that never happen, and then the people who [others] say they were wrong when they were true. My father always says that when you invest in something, believe you lost it so you won’t regret it.
7. The Hermanos Hernangómez Basketball Camp That’s what I’m most proud of. We’ve set up a camp, my brother and myself and my sister, for two weeks in Spain, in my hometown, and the kids are going to play basketball. But it’s not just for basketball. They go to the pool. They have art. They have English class. They play football. We go there every day. I love children so much, so I play with them. Parents always tell me, “It was the best week of his life.”
8. Country Music I didn’t hear country until I went to Denver [to play with the Nuggets]† I went to Red Rocks and they had a country concert and it was incredible. You see the sunset. It’s just the atmosphere. There’s something special about Red Rocks that makes that even better.