Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been found not guilty of the rape of a 19-year-old woman on the orders of a judge who was presiding over his trial for multiple alleged sex crimes. His co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie, 41, was also acquitted of two charges of rape and one of sexual assault against the same woman after the prosecutor provided no further evidence against the defendants on those four counts. Judge Stephen Everett warned jurors at Chester Crown Court, in the North West of England, not to speculate as to why the prosecution had decided not to file any convictions on those charges and to continue “faithful” trials of the defendants. to the charges they continue to face.
Earlier, jurors were told of a private video of the woman having what was described as “enthusiastic” sex with Matturie when she claimed she had been raped.
The 20-minute mobile phone video was shot by Matturie on August 1 last year, the court heard, a week after both men allegedly raped the same woman on the same night at the footballer’s mansion.
The woman had told the jury that Matturie had sexually assaulted her for the second time on August 1, 2021 in a flat after going out in Manchester.
Lisa Wilding, who defended Matturie, suggested that what happened between them was “consensual, willing and enthusiastic” sex, not rape, the court heard.
The woman denied this, claiming that the incident made her feel “embarrassed and disgusted”.
Wilding said, “I’ll have to ask you to look at some images.”
The hearing was adjourned and when the court resumed after lunch, Timothy Cray went on to say that the prosecution was no longer seeking pleas for guilty pleas for alleged sex crimes involving the 19-year-old complainant.
Jurors were then ordered to introduce not guilty verdicts against the defendants.
The rape charge against 28-year-old Mendy had been dropped and related to a week before the Matturie incident, when the woman claimed she woke up at Mendy’s house after a night out to find the footballer raping her.
That same night, July 24 last year, Matturie also allegedly raped her, according to DNA evidence, but she has “no memory” of that, the court heard. That number also dropped.
Prosecutors have alleged that French World Cup winner Mendy is a “predator” who has “turned the pursuit of women for sex into a game”.
Mendy is still facing seven charges of rape, one of attempted rape and one of assault against six young women.
Matturie, the footballer’s boyfriend and fixer, is said to have been tasked with finding young women for sex.
Matturie still denies six charges of rape and three charges involving seven young women.
Both men say that if sex with women took place, it was consensual.
Mendy joined Premier League champions City from Monaco in France in 2017.
He played 75 times for the club, but his playing time was limited by injuries and loss of form.
He was suspended by City after being charged by police in August last year.
(This story was not edited by DailyExpertNews staff and was generated automatically from a syndicated feed.)
Topics mentioned in this article