Argentina will meet the Netherlands in the quarterfinals©AFP
With Portugal decimating Switzerland 6-1 in the final round of 16, the line-up for the quarter-finals of the tournament has been decided. Top teams such as Germany and Belgium were already eliminated in the group stage, while in the Round of 16 champions Spain of 2010 fell after defeat to Morocco on penalties. Giants such as France, Brazil, Portugal and England have placed themselves in the last 8 with convincing results. Some exciting matches await in the quarter-finals of the FIFA World Cup, from which only 4 teams will progress to the semi-finals.
2022 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals full schedule:
- December 9, Friday (8:30 PM IST): Croatia vs Brazil at Education City Stadium
- December 10, Saturday (12.30pm IST): Netherlands vs Argentina at Lusail Stadium
- December 10, Saturday (8:30pm IST): Portugal vs Morocco at Al Thumama Stadium
- December 11, Sunday (12.30pm IST): England vs France at Al Bayt Stadium
The showdown between England and France is arguably the most exciting match in the quarter-finals, while the battle between Argentina and the Netherlands is also expected to be an exciting one.
Portugal’s 6–1 victory over Switzerland was the tournament’s most one-sided Round of 16 result. They will face Morocco, a team that dumped Spain out of the tournament.
Round of 16 results in full:
- The Netherlands defeated the US 3-1
- Argentina beat Australia 2-1
- France beat Poland 3-1
- England beat Senegal 3-0
- Croatia defeated Japan 3-1 on penalties (1-1 in 120 minutes)
- Brazil beat South Korea 4-1
- Morocco beat Spain on penalties (0-0 in 120 minutes)
- Portugal beat Switzerland 6-1
The semi-finals of the tournament will take place on December 14 and 15 and the final on December 18.
Featured video of the day
Ricky Ponting rushed to hospital, feeling unwell during commentary: reports
Topics mentioned in this article