Virat Kohli speaks with umpire Marais Erasmus.© AFP
Virat Kohli and the Indian players were not happy after an LBW decision given by field umpire Marais Erasmus was overturned after using the DRS. The Indian captain was furious after his South African counterpart Dean Elgar survived the close call at a crucial moment in the match. Kohli walked over to the stump’s microphone and expressed his dismay at the decision. Other Indian stars also did not hold back and made their feelings known, which was also picked up on the stump microphone. However, former cricketers Gautam Gambhir, Aakash Chopra and Morne Morkel criticized the Indian players’ reaction to the entire incident.
Here’s your 10-point guide to this big story:
- The incident occurred in the 21st over of the South African innings when South African captain Dean Elgar got LBW from R Ashwin’s bowling.
- Elgar decided to reconsider the decision, with replays showing the ball bouncing over the stumps.
- Indian players reacted angrily when the decision against Dean Elgar was overturned on review.
- Several players, including Virat Kohli, heard complaints within range of the stump microphone.
- Kohli walked over to the stump mic and said, “Focus on your team as they let the ball shine. Not just the opponent. I try to catch the opponent all the time.”
- KL Rahul and Ashwin both appeared to accuse SuperSport (guest broadcaster) of influencing the ball tracking system
- KL Rahul was heard to say, “The whole country is playing against 11 guys”, while Ashwin said, “You should find better ways to win, SuperSport.”
- The Indian bowling coach also weighed in after the day’s game, saying: “We’ve seen it, you’ve seen it. I’ll leave that to the match referee to look at it.”
- Former cricketers like Gautam Gambhir, Aakash Chopra and Morne Morkel were unimpressed by the reaction of Indian players to the whole incident.
- Gambhir went so far as to label Kohli’s response as “exaggerated” and “really immature”.
Topics mentioned in this article