Cristiano Ronaldo apologized for smashing a mobile phone out of a supporter’s hands.© AFP
Cristiano Ronaldo apologized on Saturday for smashing a mobile phone from a supporter’s hands as he left the field after Manchester United’s 1-0 defeat to Everton. Footage surfaced on social media that appeared to show the Portuguese star collided with an Everton supporter while on his way to the tunnel at Goodison Park. “It is never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments like the ones we face,” wrote 37-year-old Ronaldo on Instagram. “Nevertheless, we must always be respectful and patient and set the example for all young people who love the beautiful game.
“I would like to apologize for my outburst and, if possible, would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship.”
Watch the video of Cristiano Ronaldo smashing a cell phone out of a fan’s hands here:
Ronaldo smashes someone’s phone during full-time EFC pic.twitter.com/nw0XIK2enR
— EvertonHub (@evertonhub) Apr 9, 2022
United’s lackluster performance at relegated Everton saw them finish in seventh place, six points behind the Champions League places.
The win at Goodison Park, thanks to Anthony Gordon’s failed attempt in the first half, put Frank Lampard’s team four points clear of the bottom three after outplaying 18th-seeded Burnley.
But United’s season is in danger of imploding and their bid to qualify for next season’s Champions League looks doomed to fail.
Cristiano Ronaldo returned after missing out on last week’s 1-1 draw against Leicester, along with out-of-form fellow striker Marcus Rashford, who made his 200th Premier League appearance.
Rangnick has a two-year contract to remain at United as a consultant after this season, but his temporary stint as manager looks set to end in bitter disappointment as speculation mounts that Ajax boss Erik ten Hag will be the next permanent boss.
The German lamented the lack of acumen on his part, but said the conversation about a new man on the hot seat should not be an excuse.
“We are Manchester United,” he said. “We have a lot of international players. There should be no alibi. Next season there will be a new manager. If this is announced now or in 10 days, it should have no impact.”
Topics mentioned in this article