The internet returned to Kazakhstan’s largest city on Monday after a five-day power outage that left dozens dead and the financial center of 1.8 million people totter, an AFP correspondent reported.
Almaty, the former capital of Kazakhstan, has been almost completely offline since Wednesday, but local and foreign websites were reopened on Monday, which was declared a day of mourning after the worst unrest in the independent history of the ex-Soviet republic.
Kazakhstan has labeled the violence in Almaty as an attack by “terrorist groups” and expressed dismay at foreign media coverage of events that started on January 2 with protests against a rise in fuel prices in the west of the country.
But the authoritarian government has also struggled to solidify its own narrative of the events.
On Sunday evening, the Ministry of Information withdrew a statement released earlier in the day on an officially operated Telegram channel that said more than 164 people had died in the violence across the country.
The Ministry of Information told two private websites reporting the news that the statement was the result of a “technical error,” the websites reported.
In a statement sent to media on Monday, the foreign ministry said reports in the foreign media had “created the false impression that the government of Kazakhstan has been targeting peaceful demonstrators. Our security forces have been in contact with violent committed brutal acts of terrorism”.
Life steadily returned to normal in Almaty on Monday, AFP correspondents said, with public transport visible on the city’s roads for the first time since the violence began.
(This story was not edited by DailyExpertNews staff and was generated automatically from a syndicated feed.)