Britain’s 95-year-old Queen Elizabeth II tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday, but her symptoms are “mild” and she plans to continue with light duties at her residence at Windsor Castle, aides said.
The news comes after Prince Charles, the Queen’s eldest son and heir, tested positive on February 10, two days after meeting his mother in Windsor.
No information was then given as to whether Queen Elizabeth – who sat on the throne for 70 years this month – had herself undergone Covid testing.
She resumed personal audience at the castle last week, but complained of stiffness to a participant and was photographed with a walking stick.
“Buckingham Palace confirms that the Queen has tested positive for Covid today,” a statement from the palace said.
“Her Majesty is experiencing mild cold symptoms but expects to continue light duty in Windsor over the next week,” the message read.
“She will continue to receive medical attention and follow all applicable guidelines.”
While the palace is normally secretive about the Queen’s health, it has previously confirmed that she has been fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
The British Press Association said that “it is clear that a number of cases have also been identified with the Windsor Castle team”.
There was no immediate comment from Prime Minister Boris Johnson. But his health secretary, Sajid Javid, tweeted: “Wishing Her Majesty the Queen a speedy recovery.”
Keir Starmer, leader of the main opposition Labor party, also tweeted his best wishes for “a speedy recovery”, adding: “Get well soon, madam.”
National celebrations to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee will be held in June.
On the eve of the 70th anniversary of her accession on February 6, the monarch held a reception for locals at Sandringham, her eastern England estate.
It was reportedly her biggest personal public engagement since an unexplained health problem saw her spend a night in hospital last October.
The Covid fear comes with the royal family mired in scandal.
The Queen’s second son, Prince Andrew, last week settled a civil lawsuit over sexual assault in the United States, reportedly for ~CHECK~12 million ($16.3 million, $14.3 million) — which the papers allege will partially fund them.
Meanwhile, police in London have said they are investigating claims that a Saudi magnate received British awards in exchange for donations to Prince Charles’s charitable foundation.
The Queen, whose husband Prince Philip died last April at the age of 99, has spent much of the coronavirus pandemic at Windsor Castle, with a reduced number of domestic workers dubbed “HMS Bubble”.
With respect for the then government regulations on Covid distancing, she sat alone at Philip’s funeral.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by DailyExpertNews staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)