The British government planned to continue flying immigrants to Rwanda for processing and resettlement on Tuesday after a court on Monday blocked two appeals against the controversial plan, according to Care4Calais, an aid organization associated with the appeal.
The British government announced in April the deal with Rwanda to send some asylum seekers to the African country for an initial payment of £120 million, or about $157 million.
Lord Justice Rabinder Singh of the Court of Appeal said in a statement that “applications for injunctive relief in this context should be assessed on an individual basis and not on a general basis.”
The appeal was the first legal challenge to a controversial policy announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government in April as a means of resettling and processing thousands of migrants who have crossed the country via the English Channel after often perilous journeys from countries such as Albania, Iraq. , Syria and Sudan. The policy would apply to those who had arrived since January.
Priti Patel, the British Home Secretary, who traveled to Rwanda in April to announce the plan, said in a statement last week that “Rwanda is a safe country and has previously been recognized as a safe haven for refugees.” She added: “We will continue preparations for the first flight to Rwanda, in addition to the series of other measures aimed at reducing small boat crossings.”