People all over the world have weird addictions, just like this 14-year-old teen from China who had a strange habit of excessively chewing and swallowing her hair. Over the years, she chewed on so much hair that she got a three-pound hairball in her stomach, South China Morning Post (SCMP). Not only that, she pulled her hair so hard that she almost went bald.
Too sick to eat, the girl was admitted to a hospital, where surgeons removed the brick-sized hairball from her stomach and intestines in a two-hour operation. According to the SCMP report, the girl, from Shaanxi province, suffers from a condition called Pica, in which people compulsively eat dirt, paper, clay and other inedible items.
Her grandparents, who raised her because her parents lived away for work, didn’t notice the condition until it became too severe, the report said.
Shi Hai, the gastroenterologist at Xian Daxing Hospital who was in charge of her treatment, told SCMP: “She came to us because she couldn’t eat. was for food.” , her intestine was also blocked.”
“She lives with her grandparents, who have not paid enough attention to her behavior. She may have had mental health problems for years. So, more generally, I hope that parents can spend more time with those children left behind.” Shi added.
There have also been cases where eating hair has proven fatal. In 2017, a 16-year-old student in the UK died suddenly due to an infection caused by a hairball in her stomach.New York Post reported. Patients who ingest their own hair are often diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, which is caused by a psychiatric condition called trichophagia, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
Featured video of the day
“(Mainpuri) Is Netaji’s Home”: Akhilesh Yadav to DailyExpertNews ahead of Key Poll