Two Singaporeans of Indian descent were charged on Saturday for assaulting two people with bread knives during a wedding ceremony.
Muhammad Sajid Saleem, 20, and Niswan Thiruchelvam, 19, appeared before a district court while in police custody via video link to read the charges to them, The Straits Times reported.
They were each charged with voluntary grievous injury with common intent by using bread knives to attack Praveen Raj Chanthiran in an open-air parking lot on the outskirts of Boon Lay Drive on Wednesday.
If found guilty, the two accused could be jailed, fined and punished.
Court documents did not specify Praveen’s age, but police said in an earlier statement that they assaulted two men, ages 22 and 23.
They were not charged with injuring the other man.
On Wednesday, the police received several requests for help with reports about the attack. The duo would have thrown their weapons away before the police arrived.
They were arrested Thursday using surveillance cameras.
Images circulating on social media show two men with long blades standing in a parking lot.
On Wednesday, bride Yuroshini Josephine, 25, and groom Emmanuel Ravi, 26, were engaged in a wedding ritual at home when the groom received a call that his friends attending the wedding had been attacked.
Emmanuel told The Straits Times that the victims were close family friends, adding that he knew one of the alleged attackers, but not very well.
Praveen, who suffered some 12 cuts to his head and limbs, remains in hospital and will undergo multiple surgeries.
The other victim, Saran Kumar, had a 8cm cut on the side of his head. He was released from the hospital Friday morning.
This was the last attack with knives. A man armed with a knife was shot dead by police on March 23.
Three knife-related incidents were reported on March 14, including one in which a man was arrested and later charged with allegedly brandishing a sword at cars and pedestrians.