Chocolate is a beloved treat that transcends its role as a mere confectionery delight. It is a form of art that appeals to our senses and emotions, from the tantalizing taste buds to the enticing aroma. To fully appreciate the nuances of chocolate, it is essential to embark on a chocolate tasting journey.
If you are a true blue chocolate connoisseur, it is imperative that you understand that indulging in chocolates is nothing short of an art. You have to master this art very skillfully and there are really no two ways about it. Chocolate isn’t something you can just pop one after the other, it’s something you have to taste properly.
Here are 5 tips to help you learn the art of chocolate tasting-
- Clean your palette with water or less salt, and tasteless bread or rice with no smell or taste.
- Look at chocolate: if it looks even, has no white streaks or spots and has a hint of shine, this indicates good tempering and careful logistics and storage
- “Rub the surface of the chocolate with clean fingers to release its inherent aromas. Smell this and decide if you like the aromas,” says Zeba Kohli, Chocolate Sommelier Taster and Consultant.
- Carefully break the chocolate milk near your ear; the clean, snapping sound is preferred and also indicates even tempering.
- “Put a small piece of chocolate on your tongue. Experience the slow melting. Once you swallow it, focus on the flavors it releases in your mouth. See if you like it. Reset your palate by cleansing your palate as I suggest above before tasting another chocolate. This will actually help you choose what you like, which is the most important,” says Zeba.
Remember that the art of chocolate tasting is a personal journey. Take your time and don’t be afraid to explore different types and brands of chocolate to find your favorites. Each tasting can be a unique adventure, and your taste buds will develop a deeper appreciation for the complexity of chocolate flavors over time.
Zeba Kohli added, “In conclusion, tasting chocolate is more than just a sweet treat; it is a sensory journey that allows you to immerse yourself in the rich world of chocolate. By starting with high-quality chocolate, stimulating your senses, consciously melting, enjoying the texture and experimenting with flavor combinations, you can unlock the full potential of this beloved treat. So the next time you unwrap a bar of chocolate, take a moment to fully enjoy the experience, and you will discover that chocolate is indeed an art form worth celebrating.”